Saturday, March 15, 2008

Aaiye Meherbaan...

I am completely new to blogging and have been wanting to start a blog of my own for a while. As they say, the best way to start anything is to do just that -- get started as quickly as you can. So here I am. I deliberated on what I can write about that is not already being written about, but that would probably eliminate almost anything that I could cover. So, this is an attempt to write about things that I am passionate about, and perhaps a combination of those things would differentiate this blog. But, enough said already; I'll just get started!

My inspiration for the name of this blog is indeed the song from Saudagar (the 1970's Amitabh movie) written by Ravindra Jain. I love the song "Har haseen cheez ka main talabgaar hoon...", and I could identify with the sentiment it expresses: "...ras ka, phoolon ka, geeton ka, beemar hoon". I found that the song resonates well with my own temperament, my interests and passions. This could be a Piscean anthem almost. But anyway, I tried looking up the meaning of Talabgaar (spelled sometimes as Talabgar, but I decided to stick to the song version) in various Urdu-English dictionaries on the web. In the context of this song, I understood that Talab could variously mean: Desire, Need, Search; and a Talbgaar then is someone who is needy; someone who has a deep desire or longing; someone who is constantly in an internal state of disquiet and is searching. Searching for what? We'll leave that for each Talabgaar to decide for themselves.

I do not have a concrete plan for this blog but I am sure that as an avid film- and music-lover who grew up in India in the 70's, my topics will be dominated by Hindi cinema, music, and film-personalities who influenced my generation. Another word of caution: I am a true-blue Piscean and fit the description of my kind provided by Linda Goodman and others to a T. I am a hopeless romantic, and do tend to look at the world through rose-tinted glasses, borrowing from the words of Goodman and others. I am fascinated by the ideals of righteousness and humanism, which I believe are facets of romanticism anyway. I know that the world is far from perfect, but I like to bat for hope, optimism, and positivism. If my musings seem unrealistic, impractical, or downright dreamy sometime, I hope that you will rid your mind of such thoughts immediately and let them "sleep with the fishes":-)

Here's welcoming fellow Talabgaars again, and I do hope that you will take the time to post your own comments, criticism, and suggestions to my posts in abundance.

7 comments:

rajk said...

Hello, I will be looking forward to your blog...Keep it coming.
P.S.: Doesn't "talab" also mean "Thirst"?

Makarand said...

Rajk, thank you for visiting. I followed the link to your profile and visited your blog too...I liked it, and seems like we do share some common interests.

Yes, talab could mean thirst, although my understanding of it from descriptions on the web is that it is used to characterize a thirst that is very severe -- like when you might be parched. I have even seen it described as "addiction", a thirst that satiates temporarily but you are consumed by it again.

The word seems to have origins in Islamic religious traditions and texts, and when used in that context, it appears to mean a fervent seeker (of spiritual knowledge?)

Beth Loves Bollywood said...

Thank you for stopping by Beth Loves Bollywood a few weeks ago! I've been traveling and am finally trying to catch up with comments.

Anonymous said...

bas? only two posts? or have you migrated to some other blog home?

Chanced on this blog when I was searching for the song :)

Hope the talab hasn't dried up :)

VEENA said...

thank you so much for giving the meaning of talbgaar so analytically.i was searching for its meaning for the song "mana teri nazar mein tera pyaar hum nahin,kaise kahen ki tere talabgaar hum nahi" for which addiction or desire as a meaning suits the best.

Pinky said...

Tujh Ko Maloom Bhi Hai Kitni Talabgar Hoon Teri...
Pooch Un Farishton Se Jo Roz Likhtay Hain Dua Meri...

I like your blog, may your wish of something "hatke" be fulfilled....

I am also an ardent lover of old hindi films and songs.

Talabgaar said...

Mira --

Jannat-nasheen Farishton Se
Dua Ka Payaam Bheja,
Talabgaar Ko Yahi Bahot Hai
Aapane Salaam Bheja!

Welcome, and thank you for visiting!